Authors Page  
Coming soon
Escape from
Fer2
Novel
 coming soon 
 Pre teen 
 Aromat
 the Novel

Aromat the Farten Hound
 Direct Purchase Only Australia 

             Pat  Davis      

&
Vintage and Classic Car enthusiast 

  AUS 2000  INTERNATIONAL   RALLY
  A collection of photos taken By Pat Davis during  AUS 2000 International Rally 4th -5th March 2000

     5

  1929 AJS two -Seater Special

Entry number 8 Driver Philip Milne-Taylor Navigator Heather Milne Taylor

Entry number 8 Driver Philip Milne-Taylor Navigator Heather MilneTaylor

AJS of Wolverhampton had a long history of motorcycle manufacturing dating from the early twentieth century. This UK company produced motorcycles of outstanding quality, as confirmed by their high marks of achievement in racing competition.


The company decided to venture into light car manufacturing in 1927 and the AJS Two-Seater rolled off the production line in 1930. The vehicle was of open design and was powered by a 1018 cc Coventry Climax four cylinder side valve engine coupled to a three-speed gear box.


Designed by Dante Giacosa and Franco Fessia, the car was priced somewhat on the high side for its' type and as a result, had difficulty competing with Rover, Morris, Austin and the like.


Three thousand three hundred of these models, including a four door, four seater fabric-bodied type, were built between 1930 and 1932 when production came to an Unfortunately, although a price reduction improved sales, the impact of competitor price wars and the Depression finally forced the company into liquidation.


A quick look  under bonnet  - The dash

The AJS name and manufacturing rights were purchased by Matchless Motorcycles Ltd., a rival UK motorbike builder. Matchless manufactured motorcycles under both the Matchless and the AJS logo but with the exception of the name plate, the machines were virtually identical.


Available models of the two-seater are highly desirable to collectors. This is a nicely put together vehicle originally built with a 12 volt Lucas ignition system, Solex carburetors, eight gallon fuel tank and Avon tires with wire wheels. The instrument panel was facsimile grained in walnut and featured a lighting control switch

      Classified       Adverts