AUS 2000 INTERNATIONAL RALLY
A collection of photos taken By Pat Davis during AUS 2000 International Rally 4th -5th March 2000
Vehicle entrants in
13- Austin Seven
22- 1924 Chev Tourer
Click to edit text
Entrant number 19 Driver Merv Kroll
Cyclecars were a phenomenon of the early 19th Century. A number of auto makers manufactured these unique vehicles to address the needs of buyers who were looking for a means of transportation lower in cost than conventional automobiles.
Additionally, registration taxes were based on vehicle weight and engine displacement. Lighter in weight and with smaller, less powerful engines, Cyclecars were less costly to buy and taxed at a lower rate.
A typical Cyclecar such as one type which was manufactured by the Pennsylvania firm of Driggs-Seabury Ordinance from 1913 to 1915 had a two seats in tandem displacement and an underslung body. Cyclecars of various manufacture were all powered by either a single cylinder, V-Twin, a four cylinder or a motorcycle engine
1914 Twombly Cyclecar
Driggs-Seabury Ordinance Corp Pennsylvania
Owned By: Mervyn and Margaret Kroll - Brisbane
(one of three known remaining worldwide
Motor - "Twombly" type "A" . 4 cylinder, 4 cycle, water cooled, cast en bloc, thermo syphon system,
12-15 H.P. Positive oiling mechanical valves, located on left side of motor. High grade bronze
Transmission - "Twombly" straight faced friction with 2 speed drive shaft and single chain drive to rear
axle, giving 6 speeds forward and 2 reverse. Bearings of high grade bronze.
Rear Axle - "Twombly" live unbreakable type with standard differential and solid shaft from wheel to
wheel, differential casing acting as emergency brake. Axle surrounded by seamless steel tube.
Hyat roller bearings exclusively.
Front Axle - Drop forged I-beam section, chrome nickel steel. Bearings annular ball.
Suspension - "Twombly" underslung, giving low centre of gravity and perfect balance.
Frame - Pressed steel, channel section.
Springing system - Rear - Cantilever, 36 inches long
Front - Semi elliptic, 30 inches long.
Wheels - 28 x 2 1/2 extra heavy wire
Tyres - Extra heavy clincher non-skid, rear, corrugated, front.
Brakes - Service, on different case. Transmission acts as a powerful emergency brake.
Gas tank - In cowl, 5 gallons capacity
Ignition - Heinze high tension magneto
Carburetor - Longuemeare
Lubrication - Splash and force feed.
Radiator - Cellular, nickel.
Steering - "Twombly" adjustable gear. Steering wheel 14 inches, Irreversible worm and sector.
Control - Hand or foot. Gas throttle lever on dash and foot throttle accelerator. Contracting brake band
on differential casing. Transmission can be used as a powerful emergency brake.
Wheelbase - 100 inches.
Road Clearance - 9 1/2 inches.
Weight - 600 pounds.
Stock color - Sulphur yellow with black and nickel trimmings.
Equipment- includes two oil side lamps and one tail lamp. Horn and complete set of tools.
Top - One man top with envelope and side curtains, $25.00
Windshield - $12.00
Speedometer - $12.00
Electric lighting - 2 head lights, 1 tail light, storage battery and dimmer, independent push buttons.
Note that the tandem two-seater configuration and engine type gave the impression that the vehicle was actually a hybrid type of motorcycle-automobile combination.
Cyclecars enjoyed a limited popularity for a time and were even entered in races restricted to these vehicles. During the brief heyday of the Cyclecars, they were manufactured in many countries such as Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czechoslovakia, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Spain, France and England. In fact, the most prolific producers of Cyclecars were the English
The demise of the Cyclecar was hastened by the Ford Motor Company's Model T. Ford advertised the Model T's advantages over the Cyclecar one of which was the Ford being sold at a price very near to the Cyclecar. Additionally, the Model T offered superior comfort and roadability. By the early 1920s, the Cyclecar was but a curious memory.