Vehicle entrants in
(continued page 3)
Jaguar & Daimler
Queensland Jaguar Drivers Club Capricornia Register
The sheer size of the Motor and gearbox are well illustrated
showing Body Rust In this instance the rear parcel shell
Van den Plas (the man) began coachbuilding in Belgium in 1853, and produced carriages with that 'little bit extra'. Vanden Plas (the company) as we know it was established in England as a specialist motor body builder and although no longer related to each other, both Van den Plas and Vanden Plas retained very close links with Jaguar after 1945. Vanden Plas (the British one) continued to build specialised bodies and when the Belgian Government imposed heavy taxes on imported cars in 1946 the national distributor there Joska Bourgeois (and her Australian partner Nick Haynes), set up a business arrangement with William Lyons for Van den Plas to assemble 3.5 Litre (MkIV) Saloons in that country. That was the first time Jaguars were assembled outside Coventry, and a successful working arrangement continued for two until the taxes were lifted. In 1970 Jaguars were again assembled in Belgium - but now under British Leyland and with no relationship to Van den Plas!